ST EDWARD’S CROWN
St. Edward’s Crown (1661) is used solely for the coronation of the monarch. After the coronation of William III in 1689 the role of Edward's Crown at the coronation was diminished and it was often set aside on the altar. In its place a coronation or State Crown, usually known as the Imperial State Crown was used to crown the sovereign. St Edward's Crown was not used at all during the coronation of Queen Victoria in 1838 and it was not until the coronation of George V in 1911 that it regained it's traditional role as the coronation Crown.
Previously the Crown was set with stones hired for the coronation and then re-set with pastes so that it could be displayed to visitors in the jewel house. In 1911 however the Crown was permanently set with 444 semi-precious stones. The frame itself dates from the coronation of Charles II but there is some confusion as to its manufacture and it is not impossible that some parts of the crown may have come from a pre-Restoration Crown.
The crown is solid gold and weighs over 2 kilograms (4.5 pounds).