Richard E. Stern, Ph.D.
Resume / Curriculum Vitae
Seton Hall University
South Orange, NJ 07079-2671
(973) 275-2046 (voice)
(973) 761-9432 (fax)
Seton Hall University Libraries
Acting Dean, University Libraries, Nov. 2002-April 2004
Librarian II / Associate Professor 1988-present
Gordon Hurwitz Butowsky Baker
Weitzen & Shalov, 1980-83
Rutgers University, Newark, Dana
ERIC Clearinghouse on Library &
Information Science, 1974
Selected documents for inclusion in ERIC database
Port Authority of New York and New
Peace Corps volunteer, Liberia,
Ph.D., Library and Information Studies, 1987
M.S., Library Service, 1973
B.A., Sociology, 1968
Including study at Universitarios de Antioch
Guanajuato, Mexico, 1963.
Presentations Since 1995
Tech, High Interaction Face-to-Face Reference Service," 2007 NERCOMP
(EDUCAUSE affiliate) annual conference, March 2007, Worcester, MA.
- “Engaging the User: Co-Browsing at the Reference Desk” presentation at
annual conference of the American Society for Information Science &
Technology (ASIS&T), October, 2005, Charlotte.
- Co-Browsing at the Reference Desk”, demonstration &
presentation at the LIDA conference, Dubrovnik & Mljet, Croatia, June 2005.
- “Measuring Scholarship in the Promotion and Tenure
Process, roundtable presentation, Association of College & Research
Libraries (ACRL) national conference, Minneapolis, April 2005.
- “New role for librarians in the Review of Scholarship
in the Promotion and Tenure Process”, roundtable presentation, Association
of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) national conference, Minneapolis,
- Presentation to NJLA/CUS Technology Committee in
competition for 2005 technology award on the subject of “Co-Browsing at the
Reference Desk”, Monmouth University, March, 2005.
- “Co-Browsing at the Reference Desk”, with Seton Hall
University undergraduate Frank Cinque, poster presentation, annual Vale (New
Jersey academic librarians consortium), annual conference, Rutgers
University, Piscataway, January 2005.
- “Measures of Scholarship and Academic Librarians”,
breakout session presentation, annual Vale (New Jersey academic librarians
consortium) annual conference, Rutgers University, Piscataway, January 2005.
- "In-Person Co-browsing" demo with Rong Wang at
One-to-One Reference Services program of the New Jersey Library Association
Reference Section, March, 2005, Bergen Community College, Paramus, NJ.
- Presentation to library and information science
students from Croatia, on the role of the business librarian in the digital
campus, Zadar, Croatia, May 2005.
- Presentation on Measures of Scholarship to librarians,
Rudjer Boskovic Institute, Zagreb, Croatia, May 2005.
- Presentation on Measures of Scholarship to scientists
and teachers, Rudjer Boskovic Institute, Zagreb, Croatia, May 2005.
- Presentation to Provost and deans, Seton Hall
University, on measuring institutional and individual scholarship, May 2005.
- Presentation and discussion on measuring scholarship
in the promotion and tenure process with LIS students at Humboldt
University, Berlin, Germany, November 2004.
- Presentation and discussion on “Co-Browsing at the
Reference Desk” with LIS students at Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany,
- Organized and directed panel on measuring scholarship
for promotion and tenure at Seton Hall, Seton Hall University, South Orange,
New Jersey, and October 2004.
Panelist on the topic of
technology and tenure at the Faculty Technology Workshop, the Teaching,
Learning and Technology Center, Seton Hall University, June 2002.
Bloom, Beth, Marta M. Deyrup,
Richard Stern and Anita Talar (2002) "What's New in Online Databases" at
the Faculty Technology Workshop, the Teaching, Learning and Technology Center,
Seton Hall University, June 2002.
Organized Forum on External Peer
Review, Seton Hall University, April 2002.
- CAT Winter session Faculty Workshops, Seton Hall,
co-presentation with Dr. Xue-ming Bao, “New Electronic Resources Provided by
the University Library, January 1999.
- “Cyber-Citation: Chasing After Cited Internet
Resources” with Samuel R. Brown, Research Committee, College & University
Section, New Jersey Library Association, May 1, 1996.
Seton Hall University Research Council summer stipend,
Examined citation to online literature in
library & information science.
Service to the Profession 1995-
- Reader, Doctoral dissertation award, American Society
for Information Science, 2002.
- Chair, Performance Issues for Reference/Information
Librarians Discussion Group, of the Management and Operation of User
Services Section, of the Reference and User Services Association American
Library Association, 1999-2000.
- Intern, Member, Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
Committee, Association of College and Research Libraries, American Library
- Chair, Technology Committee, Association of the
College and Research Libraries/NJLA, member since 1996-97 and chair,
- Development of a set of measures of scholarship for
application to the promotion and tenure process in higher education.
- Use of in-person co-browsing capability at the academic
reference desk to create a more user-centered and collaborative reference service.
Seton Hall University Service 1995-
- Faculty Senate Academic Facilities Committee, chair,
- Faculty Senate Executive Committee, member-at-large,
- Faculty Senate, elected member from University
- Chair, Leadership & Governance Committee, Middle
States Association Self-Study, 2002-03.
- Faculty Senate, elected member from University
Library, 2001-02, 2005-07.
- Organized six-person faculty research support group at
Seton Hall, 2001-.
- SHUCAP Mentoring Program for students, 2000-04.
- Faculty Senate committees including Grievance,
Convocation, Library, and Information Technology Committees.
- American Library Association including ACRL & RUSA
- American Society for Information Science & Technology
- ACRL-NJLA (Association of College & Research
Libraries-New Jersey Library Association)